Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The things that amuse me in Bahrain!

If you are my friend on FB, you've probably already heard about some of the crazy things I've seen here in Bahrain; but since I know many of you are not on FB, I thought I would share again with you.
 

My favorite is the handheld bidet in every bathroom.  Yes, a little hose to cleanse off after every visit.  I was told that toilet paper here is for drying yourself AFTER you've hosed yourself down!  Wouldn't that be messy?  Is the water cold?  You'll have to ask someone else becuase I'm not using it!  I use it to rinse the toilet bowl when I wash it!  I think I'm kind of obsessed with the toilets; they have two buttons on the top for flushing.  Each has a different amount of water pressure so you can flush according to your need (if you know what I mean). I just love their attention to conservation.  There are switches on each outlet and you only turn them on when in use.  The same for water heaters and the gas stove; there is a switch you turn on and off when you're going to use.







And speaking of appliances, the refrigerator gave me the best surprise last week.  I left the door open when I was unloading groceries and all of a sudden, I hear music.  Jingle Bells, of all things!  It was the fridge.  If you leave it open too long, it warns you by playing a song.  Who picked Jingle Bells?  I have no idea but I love it - Christmas year-round! 

We were lucky that our Villa has a lot of appliances included, like a vaccum.  If you know me, you  know that I'm a little crazy when it comes to vacuuming - I love to see the lines the vacuum leaves when you vacuum; proof that it's clean!  I like to make sure they are all straight and in order and then I get a little upset when people walk all over them.  But I love seeing straight, clean lines.  I think God is trying to get me to ease up on little things like this because our vacuum does NOT leave lines!!!  What?  The entire Villa is carpeted - the reason we picked it because 99% of homes here are all tile and marble.  Dave was the first one to use it; we were having his boss and wife and another couple over for dinner and Dave offered to vacuum while I cooked.  He's so funny - after a few minutes he says, "Honey, you're not going to be happy.... the vacuum does not leave the lines you like!"  What kind of a vacuum doesn't leave signs that it's been used.  Geeezzzzz.....

 

I may have also mentioned that all the doors and windows in the house have a lock and key.  You have to leave the key in the door - just in case you have to make an emergency exit - not sure if this makes me feel safe or a little scared of living in a place where you have to lock your bedroom doors with a key!  I've decided I feel safe.  As a matter of fact, we do feel very safe here in Amwaj.  Everyone is very relaxed and the crime statistics are almost non-existent.  Now, I'm not talking about protests and demonstrations - those go on daily in the city, but they are not meant to be violent in nature.  They are not aimed at Westerners; the truth is they just want attention from the King and they want to have their voice heard.  Every day I get several text messages on my phone warning us of this protest or demonstration, urging us to take caution and avoid the areas.  At first it was unnerving; we were bascically on lock down all of Valentine's weekend because major protests were planned that entire weekend, but now they are so routine I sometimes forget to even check the message.  Because we live in Amwaj, we are pretty much isolated from all those problems.  In fact, on Valentine's Day, lots of people drove to Amwaj to go to dinner and celebrate because this was a free zone.  So yes, I feel very safe.

 

Our yard is enclosed; we have a rod iron door that is locked on the side of the house and the only other way to get to our house is to swim across the canal or go through someone else's yard, so it makes for a very peaceful environment.  One that Dave really enjoys becasue he doesn't have to worry about me being home alone and he can relax when he comes home after a long day at work.
The most excitement Bella gets is barking at the man who drives by in a little boat cleaning the canal or when she "talks" to the dogs across the water.  Oh, and of course, swimmers going by are also fun for her!  Yes, it's a little funny to look out and see someone doing the backstroke in your back yard or kayaking quietly across the water.  I always run to get my camera and then I stop because I remember that this is their back yard too; we share this one, big beautiful piece of water and I'm sure they want their privacy.  If I was back home, I wouldn't normally snap picutures of my neighbors if I saw them in their pool - I'd probably get arrested!

What I have come to realize recently is that the whole atmosphere here is very laid back and relaxed.  Meals are meant to savored over a few hours; no one ever asks if you want your check; you have to ask for it.  I guess you could say service is really slow here; you're lucky if you get your food in 45 minutes and you will have to hunt down your waiter for the check; but I realize that it's only the Americans who are in a hurry!  We're the ones always complaining about bad service; we're the ones always clamoring for the check - what's the hurry???  I'm beginning to like this relaxed way of living.  Relax...relax...be still and know that I am GOD.  That verse keeps coming to my mind and it's funny because I used to have that verse on a garden stone in my yard.  One day a friend saw it and she laughed and said "YOU are NEVER still!!"  So true....so sad.... but I'm the one smiling now...I really can get used to this - it's a process but one I know is good for my soul and yours - I highly recommend it - relax...be still and know that HE is God!!

 
 


 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are adjusting well and are safe and happy! Enjoy the slow pace of life; I went through that same transition in Mexico and came to really love it. I could certainly go for a slower paced life right about now. Love you so much!! Hugs and kisses to Daddy and Bella!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my love. Pretty soon, doing anything will feel like a chore! ;) But I'm happy to have this time to sit and reflect and PRAY for all my loved ones, especially you and John! Kisses and hugs to you both and especially to Beau and Tara!

      Delete